Tyson Sidelined By Knee Injury; Wynne, Reed, Ananis Will Start

By Andrew Jamison

As usual three days before a crucial football game, the head coaches of both Harvard's and Dartmouth's gridmen expressed pessimism yesterday.

John Yovicsin, the Crimson mentor, may have a little more reason to worry than his rival, Bob Blackman. Yovicsin has lost the services of right safety John Tyson, who wrenched his knee late in the Cornell game. The husky junior was an all-Ivy selection last season.

But the problem that Tyson's loss raises is more a lack of depth than a lack of talent. To fill the right safety slot Yovicsin has the very capable Tom Wynne, whose three interceptions in the Boston University contest tied a Harvard record. But Wynne's elevation to the starting lineup means that the usual backup strength in the defensive back field won't be there Saturday.

In another change in the defense, junior Mike Ananis has re-won the right cornerback post away from Joe Donnelly, who started at that position for the last two games. Ananis, the pre-season choice, has come along slowly, but apparently looked better than Donnelly this week.

Joe Cook, the left end who has been bothered by leg injuries all year, will be replaced this weekend by Fritz Reed. Reed, a sophomore, lacks the experience, but has the hands and the size to make up for his youth. He is the first sophomore to start this year.

3 Uncertain Indians

The Dartmouth, injuries seem less serious Blackman terms three players "uncertain starters"--linebacker Norm Davis, left tackle Jeff Norton, and safety Rick Wallick. Davis, a starter for three years, is especially important for the Green, and, according to Blackman, "isn't close to being ready."

But then, this was on Wednesday. Come Saturday and it won't be too surprising to see all three Indians in uniform, fit, and quite healthy.