Gatto Hurts Leg, But He Will Play

Vic Gatto, Harvard's star halfback, was in the infirmary Wednesday after pulling a ligament in his leg just above the knee. He was released yesterday morning and says he will play in Saturday's Dartmouth game.

Neither doctors nor trainers would comment on the extent of the injury. It is not thought to be serious, and Gatto himself said "I feel great." The stocky halfback practiced yesterday in pads without contact. He said that he put on the pads to deemphasize the injury and keep it secret if possible.

Gatto is the obvious key to Harvard's offense. Last week against Cornell he gained 80 yards to push his career rushing figure to 1,006. He also emerged as a passer, throwing a touchdown pass to Will Stargel. For his performance he was named Ivy "Back of the Week."

In recent years the Harvard-Dartmouth rivalry has become an increasingly fierce battle of psychology, with each side trying to gain a pre-game advantage.

The secrecy surrounding Gatto's injury is thought to be part of the psychological circus preceeding the 1967 Harvard-Dartmouth game. Dartmouth coach Bob Blackman has shrouded the condition of three injured starters in mystery, and has been non-committal on where he will play quarterback-halfback Gene Ryzewicz.