Dowling Revitalizes Yale

By James K. Glassman

Brian Dowling is alive and well in New Haven. And the Yale football team is now very much alive in the Ivy League title race.

On Saturday, quarterback Dowling, who was supposed to miss the whole season because of a broken wrist, surprised hefty Cornell by throwing two touchdown passes, running for a third, and leading the Elis to a 41-7 massacre of the Big Red.

Yale-Dartmouth

As a result, next Saturday's Yale-Dartmouth game could be the championship showdown. The Bulldogs and the Indians are the only undefeated teams left in the league.

Yale mercilessly ran over the Ithacans, who had previously clobbered Princeton, 47-13, and were nipped by Harvard, 14-12. The Elis gained a total of 401 yards and registered 19 first downs. Their defense was powerful too, holding Cornell to 153 total yards and nine first downs and intercepting two passes.

Dowling

But it was the inspirational Dowling who engineered the victory. When he left the field for a substitute at the end of the third quarter, he had completed nine of 19 passes for 96 yards and had run six times for 71 more, including a six-yard TD scamper and a 51-yard end-run.

Dowling, one of the most sought-after players in the country as a high school senior three years ago, has been plagued by a variety of injuries. Last year he was lost in the second game, and this year he was hurt in preseason practice.

He showed up at the Columbia game last week, much to Columbia's surprise, and helped knock off the Lions, 21-7.

Princeton

In the only other League action, Princeton demolished Penn, 28-14. The Tigers had built up a four-touchdown lead in the third quarter, then slacked off. The victory was the Tigers' second in the league against one loss. They are now tied with Harvard in third place.

Princeton showed a magnificent rushing attack, gaining 271 yards on the ground, mainly the work of Bob Weber.

Penn's Bill Creedon, practically a one-man team, had another great afternoon, even in defeat. He scored both of the Red and Blue TD's and completed 11 of 31 passes for 147 yards. Creeden carried 11 times but was held to 4 yards on the ground.

In non-league games, Columbia whipped Rutgers, 24-13, and Brown edged Colgate, 7-0, for its first win of the year.

Columbia

Junior quarterback Marty Domres led the Lions to their second victory of the season by completing 10 of 20 passes for 183 yards. Columbia is showing improvement and just might get out of its bottom-of-the-league rut with some late-season wins.

In the Brown game, a 42yard pass from Harold Phillips to Greg Kontos late in the third quarter on a broken play gave the Bruins' new coach, Len Jardine, his first win. Ivy Football Standings   W  L Dartmouth  3  0 Yale  3  0 Harvard  2  1 Princeton  2  1 Cornell  1  2 Penn  1  2 Brown  0  3 Columbia  0  3