Mather Sub-Committee Could Get Joint Resolution From HPC, HUC

The Harvard Policy Committee and the Harvard Undergraduate Council, the two autonomous units of student government at Harvard, may combine tonight on a joint resolution to the new sub-committee studying policy implications of the tenth House.

The sub-committee, established Wednesday by the Committee on Houses, has been asked to consider the implications of the opening of the new House, Mather House. The sub-committee is to help decide whether the existence of Mather should mean the end of off-campus living, deconversion of existing House rooms and a concurrent increase in the room rate, or some compromise version of both choices.

The HUC meets tonight, and it is expected to receive a resolution, addressed to the sub-committee, which the HPC approved Friday. HPC leaders have not released details of the resolution, but Kenneth W. Watcher '68, an HPC member who helped draw up the resolution, said last night that essentially it calls for deconversion of House rooms when Mather opens.

When asked about the room rate increase the Administration says will be necessary with deconversion, Wachter said, "That's what they say. It's not clear to us that that's necessarily so. None of us have seen the figures. The figures are sort of held over our heads."

Richard T. Gill '48, Master of Leverett House, who is chairman of the new subcommittee, said last night, "If they have a resolution, that would definitely be of interest to the committee."

Gill said he had not yet called any meetings and could not speak for its other members, but said, "I'm personally interested in anything the students have to say on the matter."

The policy resolution approved by the HPC Friday was drawn up by Wachter, Henry R. Norr '68, chairman of the HPC, and two HUC members, Lawrence M. Lawrence '68 and Thomas J. Fields '69.