Harvard Okays High School Game

Harvard will permit the Boston Latin-Boston English football game to be played at the Stadium again this Thanksgiving, but the University has taken precautions to prevent a recurrence of last year's post-game rioting in Harvard Square.

Charles P. Whitlock, assistant to the President for Civic and Governmental Affairs, said yesterday the University is allowing the game under the following conditions:

* The MBTA will open its subway entrance on Memorial Drive across from Eliot House to prevent congestion in the Square.

* Special buses will run to and from Boston Latin and Boston English to transport students on the day of the game.

* Extra police will be on duty at the Stadium to cut down drinking among students.

* The principal or headmaster of both schools are holding special assemblies to warn students that the game will not be played at Harvard again if any disruptive activity occurs.

* Cambridge police will keep all traffic off Larz Anderson Bridge after the game to allow rapid access to buses and subways.

A further precaution has been the scheduling of the game at least an hour before the Cambridge Latin-Rindge Tech football game begins. Last year, both games ended within a half hour of each other, and students converged on the Square from two directions.

More than 1000 rioting students choked traffic for an hour and a half after last year's game. Seven persons were injured, including two policemen, and several hundred dollars damage was inflicted on stores in the area.

Four days after the riot, Cambridge City Manager Joseph A. DeGuglielmo '29 asked President Pusey in a letter to deny future use of the Stadium to the Boston high schools. He said the City of Cambridge could not tolerate "acts of pure animal savagery."

"Adequate Protection"

The Harvard Corporation can either accept or reject the annual request made by the mayor of Boston for the use of the Stadium on Thanksgiving Day.

When asked yesterday about the University's decision. DeGuglielmo said, "I don't like it." There will be no special Cambridge police details assigned on the day of the game. he said, but Cambridge merchants will be given "adequate protection."