After Year Out of Saddle, Radcliffe Riding to Hounds

Fox-hunting and New England are bound by a tradition more mellow than fine dandelion wine, but for Radcliffe it is a very new sport.

It was first introduced in 1960 when Mary G. Paget became coordinator of Recreational Activities as part of "the new look at Radcliffe sports." Miss Paget said yesterday.

The best years for Radcliffe hunting were '60 to '65 when up to eight Cliffies were in the field. Last year there were no Radcliffe hunters, because. Miss Paget said, nobody qualified. This year, freshman Lisa McGrath has already hunted three times. "This is the beginning of a new cycle." Miss Paget said.

Radcliffe girls now ride to the hounds at the Millwood Hunt Club in Concord. Before a Cliffie is allowed to ride out she must have trained with the Radcliffe riding program, get the approval of the instructor, and pay $160. This is considered a bargain as "Tom Cabot probably spends $1000 a season." Miss Paget said. The money pays for membership in the Club (for others, $150 a season) the normal ten-dollar capping fee (paid to the club everytime you hunt), trucking a mount to the hunt's starting point, and renting a horse if you do not own one.

Hunting is more than just a Saturday afternoon sport. It brings its own social life. There are traditional hunt teas each day in the field. And then there is the annual hunt ball at the end of the season.