Rugby Squad Pulls Out 8-8 Tie With Princeton

A burst of second-half energy brought Harvard's rugby club to an 8-8 tie with Princeton Saturday, despite a defensive, disorganized start.

With the Crimson trailing, 8-5, Harvard's Bill Wilson carried in a tying 3-point try in the second half. Wilson displayed virtuoso defensive kicking through the game, as Harvard remained undefeated for the Fall season.

The Princeton backfield, which includes four juniors who have played together since they were freshmen, displayed elegant passing and coordination unseen on the Harvard rugby field this year. It controlled the ball with precision, converting the Crimson defense into a potpourri of tackle football and "capture the flag" by the middle of the first half.

The Tigers snaked the ball up to the goal line three times in the first half, only to be stopped by desperate Harvard scrambling, including a bone-breaking tackle by wing Parker Wise.

Harvard scored the first try (goal) early in the first half as lock Sione Tupouniua picked up a Princeton fumble and found himself in the open. Wilson followed the try with a 2-point kick, bringing the score to 5-0, Harvard.

Princeton scored soon after on a penalty kick but was held to the 5-3 score until the end of the half, despite its superior playing style.

Princeton back John Taylor, scored the first Tiger try and with a successful following kick, gave Princeton an 8-5 lead.