IDA Recruiter Changes His Mind, Cancels Forum With SDS Student

A recruiter for the Institute of Defense Analyses cancelled yesterday a forum with an SDS member on the role of the IDA.

Daniel B. Magraw Jr. '68, president of the HUC, which was to sponsor the meeting, said last night that the vice-president and general manager of IDA, Norman L. Christeller, had told him in a telephone conversation yesterday that the recruiter had been ordered not to appear in a public forum because he did not know enough about IDA to speak as its representative.

According to Magraw, Christeller felt that the recruiter, Tom Shirhall, would be interpreted as speaking for IDA rather than as an individual.

Magraw added that Shirhall had told him that he had been ordered not to speak and that if it were up to him he would still be speaking.

Embarrassing

Christeller said last night that Shirhall had told him that he did not want to speak because it would be embarrassing not to know the answers to many questions.

According to Christeller, "The Crimson reported last Monday that Shirhall had agreed to appear at a forum when he had not yet agreed to appear. After the statement by Lawrence [Lawrence M. Lawrence '67-4, the SDS member who was to debate Shirhall] announcing the forum in the Crimson Shirhall felt it might be just as well to appear."

Lawrence said last night, "On Saturday when I talked to Shirhall he agreed to participate in a discussion, and he confirmed this early Monday."

Informed of Lawrence's statement, Christeller said, "That's not what Shirhall said to me."

Shirhall, who is scheduled to recruit at M.I.T. today, had checked out of his room at the Treadway Motor Hotel last night and could not be reached for comment.

Christeller said that Shirhall had come to Harvard to speak with students on issues like the retirement benefits of working for IDA and was not qualified to speak on IDA's attitude toward the Vietnam war.

Lawrence said that because IDA will not participate in a public confrontation of ideas he will hold a solo IDA Forum.