Leo Shifts to Flankerback As He Tries for Patriots

By Joel R. Kramer

Bobby Leo, Harvard's Saturday hero for three seasons, getting a chance to prove he can do it on Sunday with the Boston Patriots.

Leo reported Tuesday for a light two-hour drill, and yesterday participated in his first all-out professional practice session. The 5 ft. 11 in. 180-pounder is trying to make the Pats as a flankerback, and he started right at the top--with Babe Parilli throwing to him and the Pats first-string cornerbacks covering him downfield.

"The defense is pretty good up here,' Leo admitted last night. "I'm not used to this man-to-man coverage. It boils down to fakes and moves."

Leo has a lot of things working against him as he struggles to make the Pats this season. His Harvard career was a glorious one, but the Ivy League has not been known for manufacturing professional material. He is small, even for a flankerback, and he is new at the position after a college career at running back. And he just got out of the Army last Friday, which means he missed preseason practice and games.

Pats One Short

But there is a chance. The Patriots last week cut former Notre Dame quarterback John Huarte, leaving the squad one man short of the 40-man limit. Coach Mike Holovak said yesterday that Leo "will definitely not suit up for this game" (Sunday against Houston), but he did not rule out next week. Meanwhile, he said, the Pats will play with one man less than the limit. Pro teams don't operate that way for too long.

Leo said he is not facing any trouble as a Harvard man trying to make it with the Pats. "I've been getting lots of help from other ballplayers and coaches. They all seem anxious to have me learn."

The former Harvard star admitted that he "felt like playing" for the Crimson against Dartmouth Saturday. Now, he is not even sure he'll be able to attend Harvard games. "I have a job myself now, you know," he said. "The Pats practice on Saturdays."