Amateur Players Perform in Fogg

The Poets' Theatre is premiering a play about Gertrude Stein tonight in the courtyard of the Fogg Art Museum.

This is the first full dramatic production produced in the Fogg Art Museum in the last decade. The Museum was chosen, according to production manager Meredith H. Chutter, because of the importance of art and artists in Miss Stein's life and in the play itself.

Gertrude Stein's Gertrude Steins by Nancy Cole is based on a selection of Miss Stein's prose, poetry, plays, and letters, interspersed with dance and mime. According to Mrs. Chutter, the work presents an "impressionistic evocation" of the poet's life.

The Poets' Theatre is a semi-professional group dedicated to the production of original plays. It was reopened last year by a committee including William Alfred, professor of English, and Mary Manning (widow of the late Mark deWolfe Howe) after closing in 1958 because of a fire hazard in its old Palmer Street home.

The Theatre was originally founded in 1950 by a group including Archibald MacLeish, Harold L. Levin '30, and Thornton Wilder. It produced original plays including Hogan's Goat by Alfred, and was the first American theatre to produce Dylan Thomas' Under Milkwood.