McNamara Hands in Resignation; Protest Demonstration at Berkely

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, Nov 29--Robert S. McNamara announced tonight that he is resigning his post as Secretary of Defense to become president of the World Bank.

President Johnson followed McNamara's announcement with a statement that the major defense policies initiated under McNamara would not in any way be altered by the change in personnel. He also said he had asked the Defense Secretary to stay long enough to finish the military program and financial budget for the fiscal year 1969.

The President praised McNamara's performance of the duties of Defense Secretary, but said, "I could not justify asking Secretary McNamara indefinitely to continue to bear the enormous burdens of his position nor could I, in justice to him and to this nation's obligations to the World Bank, refrain from recommending that he be selected as president of the bank."

Earlier yesterday the executive directors of the World Bank voted unanimously to offer the presidency of the lending agency to McNamara. A formal offer will be made as soon as possible.

BERKLEY, Cal.--A crowd of demonstrators estimated at 700 surged into the University of California's Sproul Hall Wednesday afternoon to protest the suspension of students arrested in antidraft rallies.

The demonstration began with a rally at noon in Sproul Plaza. As the students surged past two campus policemen and two Deans into the Dean of Students' Officer on the second floor, the rally leaders instructed them to be orderly and non-violent.

By late afternoon the crowd was discussing more meetings for Wednesday night to decide whether the demonstration would continue today. Sproul Hall is usually locked for the night at 7 p.m.

Peter Camejo, 27, and Reese Erlich, 20, were suspended Tuesday by Chancellor Roger W. Heyns. Nine other students were given lighter disciplinary action for their part in last month's antidraft action.