Glimp, Kerr Expand On Ad Board Decision

'Cliffe Postpones Action

Dean Glimp and Harry P. Kerr, Allston Burr Senior Tutor of Dudley House have attempted to clear up some of the confusion that has resulted from yesterday's disclosures about Administrative Board recommendations to punish students involved in the Dow sit-in Oct. 25.

In a short statement to the CRIMSON, Dean Glimp asked for "students who have been placed on probation and who were not present in the corridor [to] petition the Ad Board for reconsideration of its action."

Meanwhile, the Radcliffe Judicial Board decided yesterday to postpone until this afternoon its decision on the cases of eight girls who allegedly participated in the Mallinckrodt demonstration.

The board adjourned at 6 p.m. yesterday without disclosing details of the meeting; it will resume its deliberations this morning.

In another reaction to the Ad Board disclosures, Kerr sent a letter explaining his actions to the 37 Dudley men on probation.

Referring to a meeting Oct. 30 with the signers of a petition asking for collective responsibility, Kerr said, "It was my understanding . . . that the men at the meeting were being denied the right to take responsibility for an act which was of great moral importance for them."

Kerr said the Ad Board found the petition "inadequate in and of itself. After considerable discussion, however, the Board did accept my judgment as establishing a reasonable certainty of presence, and voted to place the men on probation."

Obstruction Unacceptable

The letter ends: "I found the act of obstruction unacceptable, but I share the concerns which prompted it. I hope we can now work together to find efficacious ways to end the war."

Thomas E. Crooks '49, Master of Dudley House, has announced a meeting for Nov. 7 "to discuss the formation of a student-faculty committee to discuss problems of mutual concern." One of the major "problems" reportedly will be anti-war protest.

The students who were punished in connection with the Dow sit-in received strongly worded letters from their senior tutors yesterday. The letters hint at perhaps stronger punishment if such an incident recurs.

They read in part: "If our society has a future, so does this University, and it must conduct its affairs on the assumption that procedures outlive individuals, no matter how grave and deserving of respect are the passions that presently involve many of us in this community.

"Correspondingly, this letter is intended to tell you as an individual that henceforth any interference with an individual's rights of movement will be viewed as a matter of extreme gravity.