Rusk Cancels Plans to Visit Boston Area

Bundy Replaces 'Him, Will Not Speak Here

Secretary of State Dean Rusk has cancelled plans to visit the Boston area tomorrow. He originally planned to meet with several Harvard professors.

William P. Bundy, Assistant Secretary of State for Far Eastern Affairs, will replace Rusk at the foreign affairs conference to be held in the Somerset Hotel in Boston. He will not visit Harvard.

Robert J. McCloskey, spokesman for the State Department, announced Rusk's decision at a noon press conference yesterday. He said that pressing affairs in Washington would make it impossible for the Secretary to make the trip. McCloskey did not indicate the nature of those pressing affairs.

Thomas C. Schelling, professor of Economics, said he had been asked if he would like to meet with Rusk. He did not know whether there were any formal plans to hold a meeting. The office of Samuel P. Huntington, professor of Government, said it had heard of the meeting.

For days rumors circulated at Harvard that Rusk would address the National Security Policy seminar given by Henry A. Kissinger, professor of Government, Kissinger's office denied that there were ever any plans to have the Secretary address any of professor Kissinger's classes.

It is not known how many faculty members Rusk planned to meet or what he was going to discuss. The State Department declined to comment on any plans of the Secretay to come to Harvard.