Ed Project's Talks Yield 195 Points

By Jeffrey C. Alexander

Forty students and tutors congregated Saturday and Sunday on the top floor of Holyoke Center for a freewheeling overview of College education, which produced 195 specific reform suggestions for Harvard.

The meetings, sponsored by the Harvard Policy Committee, initiated a longterm student study of the University called the Harvard Education Project (HEP). The participants included the HPC president Henry, R. Norr '68, five of the 14 new HPC members, five tutors, and three newly-elected SFAC representatives.

"What's really been lacking in student reform groups is a philosophical basis of what they want from education," Norr said. The weekend discussion attempted to begin filling this gap, Norr said. "We found students share a huge number of values considerably at variance with the values that are institutionalized around here."

The participants in the conference agreed that the purpose of undergraduate education should be "to allow the student to fulfill himself as a human being," according to Jeff Elman '69, acting chairman of the HEP.

Starting from this assumption, the discussion, proposed two broad reforms for Harvard:

* The college should be a self-regulating community, and the process of self-government should be an official part of the education. Students, Faculty, and administrators should all have a voice in determining the University's structure.

* Because the College prepares students to enter society, its education should be better integrated with the so- cial community outside the college.

The weekend's proposals were collected into subjects for seven study committees. For the remainder of the semester, the HEP organizers will recruit students and Faculty to serve on each committee. "They will conduct academic research, hold hearings, interviews, debates, and polls," Elman predicted