Fisher Presents Case for Anguilla

Roger Fisher, professor of Law, argued the case for Anguilla before the trusteeship committee of the U.N. General Assembly Friday night.

Fisher, who has been legal advisor to the predominantly black Carribean island of 6000 since its declaration of autonomy last spring, asked the U.N. for assistance particularly in the form of drugs and gasoline. Auguilla does not want U.N. membership, he said.

"We know that the United Nations is not Santa Claus," Fisher testifies, in making his plea for aid and recognition. He pointed out that Anguilla was still considering alternatives to independence.

Together with the two other islands of Nevis and St. Kitts, Anguilla was granted independence by Britain six months ago. But Anguilla seceded from the coalition, complaining that the central government on St. Kitts did not represent its interests.

Neither Britain nor the U.N. has recognized Anguilla's independence and this, Fisher said, has deprived the island of the advisors and supplies it needs to survive.

After testifying, Fisher returned to Cambridge for classes yesterday morning. Then he flew to Anguilla to meet a special British government study-group which will soon arrive on the island.

Anguilla has no telephones.