Crimson Smashes Terriers, 86-21; Two-Mile Relay Team Sets Record

Harvard's four finest senior runners, racing in Briggs Cage for the last time, smashed the Cage record in the two-mile relay to cap a stunning 86-21 Crimson victory over B.U. last night.

Jim Baker, Dave McKelvey, Jeff Huvelle, and Trey Burns streaked around the 21-lap course in 7:45.8, bettering a six-year-old Cage mark of 7:52.3 by six and one-half seconds. Burns, the team's anchor man, crossed the finish line nearly a lap and a half ahead of the last Terrier runner.

The race was a fitting finish to last night's meet. Harvard breezed by B.U. effortlessly, winning 10 of 13 events.

Baker was Harvard's only double winner. Besides his leg in the winning relay, he raced to his second consecutive first place finish in the mile with a time of 4:10.5. The gusty harrier, who captained the cross country team this fall, set a Cage record in the event against Army Saturday.

Coach's Corps

Coach Bill McCurdy sent the strongest corps he could muster along with Baker in the mile. Roy Shaw, Tim McLoone, Doug Hardin, and Burns all battled to beat the senior from Northfleet, England. But Baker outdistanced them all. Shaw managed to place second in 4:12.0. B.U.'s Pete Hoss was third.

The Crimson tracksters swept in four events, and took first and second in three others. Steve Schoonover and Pete Lazarus dominated the pole vault, Schoonover winning with a 14'8" vault. Cage record-holder Dick Benka, Charlie Ajootian, and Bruce Hedendall placed one-two-three in the shot, as did Noel Hare, Bob Galliers, and Schoonover in the broad jump.

Hurdlers John Metzger, Frank Haggerty, and Greg Welch came through with a surprise sweep in the 40-yard highs. And sprinter Bill Cobb, the track team's dark horse, won his second straight 40-yard dash in 4.6.

The only events the Terriers won were the 600, the high jump, and the 1000. In the 600, B.U.'s IC4A champ and team co-captain, Dave Hemery, came from behind to edge Huvelle, Harvard's captain, by three feet at the finish.

Freshmen Clinch, 90-10

The Harvard freshmen won even more impressively than the varsity last night, crushing B.U. 90-10. The Terrier pups won only one event, the mile relay.

The Yardling effort was sparked by three double winners. Ed Nosal captured firsts in both the shot and the 35-pound weight. Jon Enscoe followed suit in the mile and two-mile. Walter Johnson won the high jump and high hurdles.