Student on Pro Leads Dudley Voting For SFAC, But Ford Won't Raise Ban

There were strong indications yesterday that John D. Fouts '69 is leading the Dudley House balloting for its representative to the Student-Faculty Advisory Committee. Fouts is on probation for his participation in the Dow sit-in.

Dean Ford said yesterday that he had asked the Masters to report to him the name of any ineligible person elected to the committee. "If he is on pro, he will not be invited to the meeting, and if he is not invited he won't get in the door," Ford said.

The decision to make students on probation ineligible for the committee was not "my own interpretation," Ford said. "The rule of the Faculty is perfectly clear. The Faculty had a chance to reverse this at their last meeting and they didn't," he said.

But Fouts said if he is elected and not admitted to the meeting he will try to bring the issue up before the Faculty.

Master Bruce Chalmers of Winthrop House, a Faculty member of the committee, upheld Ford's analysis. But another Faculty member, who asked to remain unidentified, said, "There are two possible interpretations of the terms of probation: either one thinks they are sufficiently unclear to determine ineligibility for this committee or one thinks they clearly prohibit admittance but may want to see this position waived in this particular case. However, this committee does not have the legal competence to do any more than make recommendations to the Faculty."

With most of the student elections for the committee completed, Douglas M. Myers '68, Quincy House representative, said, "The student representation on the committee will definitely be left of center." Myers picketed and turned in his bursar's card during the Dow demonstration, but did not participate in the sit-in.

Robert C. Post '69, Dunster House representative, was originally on probation but was taken off because he was not present at the sit-in. He said the political leanings of the students might lead to "a committee break down on a generational level." Post said, "I hope the students are amenable to rationalization and not militants."

The other house representatives are: Walter Jaros '68, Adams House; Kenneth M. Glaier '69, Kirkland House; Alexander Keyssar '68, Leverett House; Ron D. Lare '69, Lowell House; Stephen V. Whitman '68, Winthrop House. Eliot House has not yet held its election.

The Harvard freshmen elected to the committee are: Lawrence Dicara, Franklin D. Raines, and Timothy N. Rush.

The three house representatives from Radcliffe are: Katherine A. Kaufer '69, North House; Kathleen Kreiss '69, East House; Sherry R. Turkle '69, South House.