Food Dept. Acts On Dining Abuse

The University Food Services Department has moved to stop abuse of the interhouse dining privileges at Dudley House.

A cross check of the Lehman Hall eating lists with those of the individual houses revealed that some students were using fictitious names or the names of other students to eat extra meals.

The Department will bill the offending students who eat twice for the extra meal. They will also refer continued abuses to the student's house master, according to a Department memorandum issued earlier this week.

The memorandum explained that the Lehman Hall dining privilege "was established for the convenience of students on board, and to provide an opportunity for those students to commingle with the members of Dudley."

"The privilege is being abused when a student accepts the hospitality of Dudley and in turn eats a meal at his own house," the memorandum said.

"We're not out to get anyone," Charles G. Hurlburt, director of the Department, said yesterday. "We just don't want to hurt the (interhouse) system. It's a good system and we want to preserve it."