Robert J. Gross Named to Head Upward Bound

Robert J. Gross, assistant director of the Master of Arts and Teaching program at the Graduate School of Education, has been appointed the new executive director of Harvard's Upward Bound program.

Upward Bound is a federally-financed program designed to encourage disadvantaged high school students and drop-outs to continue their education through tutoring, counseling, special activities, and seminars. At the present time the project is the University's only official contribution to the federal anti-poverty program.

Gross, who was appointed by Theodore R. Sizer, dean of the Ed School and official director of Harvard Upward Bound, will replace David Swanger. Swanger has run Upward Bound since its establishment two years ago, and he will remain as executive director until the end of this year. Gross will work under him until that time.

Wants To Write Thesis

Swanger said that he is leaving the job because he "has a thesis to write."

Next year will be a crucial one for the program, Swanger explained. The Office of Economic Opportunity will pay only 80 per cent of Upward Bound's expenses this year (it paid 90 per cent last year), compelling Harvard to double its financial commitment to the program.

The program, he added, is rapidly losing its experimental nature and is becoming something of an institution.

One possible change for next year, Gross said, would be to make the summer portion of the Harvard program residential. At the present time, students involved participate on a daily basis.