Yardling Skaters Drub B.C.; But Hoopsters Fall, 97-88

Joe Cavanagh Stars

Joe Cavanagh--three-time high school All-American--turned in a hat trick as well as two assists last night in leading Harvard's undefeated freshman hockey squad to a 5-2 drubbing of Boston College.

The Yardlings got off to a slow start, playing sloppily for most of the first period. The first line of Cavanagh, Steve Owen, and Dan deMichele kept the pressure on B.C. throughout the period, but the Crimson was unable to score.

Finally, at 14:45, with 15 seconds left in the period, Owen fed Cavanagh cutting toward the right side of the B.C. goal, and the Andover grad tapped it in. Harvard's captain and goalie, Bruce Durno, wasn't seriously threatened in the first frame.

At 9:32 in the second period, Dan deMichele stole the puck at B.C.'s blue line, skated toward the B.C. goal drawing the goalie out of the net, and dropped the puck off to Cavanagh who shoved it in the empty cage.

Dan deMichele opened the third period flood-gates slapping one in at 6:21 from the left side, assisted by Owen and Cavanagh. He tallied again at 11:21 with a 20-foot slap shot into the right center of the B.C. cage. Cavanagh assisted with a pass from the left corner.

B.C. got on the scoreboard with two quick goals late in the period. The Eagles capitalized on a Harvard letdown following deMichele's apparently game-clinching goal, and scored at 11:28. They scored again two minutes later following a scramble in front of the crease.

Cavanagh, in another scramble, slammed his third goal past the bewildered B.C. goalie with five seconds remaining in the game.

Bruce Durno turned away 20 B.C. shots. Barton had 19 saves for the Eagles.