Cagers Beat U.N.H. 'Cats' By 26 Points

By Andrew Jamison

The Harvard basketball team finally put everything together, erupting for 46 points in the second half to run away from the University of New Hampshire Wildcats, 78-52, Saturday night at Durham, New Hampshire.

Harvard was hot--49 per cent worth from the field--while the home team converted a horrid 19 of 59 shots to give the Crimson an early Christmas present.

Wildcats Fade

New Hampshire, after holding Harvard to a one-point half-time edge at 32-31, started to fade in the second half, as its full-court press failed, and its earlier ball-control offense dissipated into sloppiness.

Crimson forward, junior Bob Kanuth--who led all scorers with 16 points--got help from guards Bob Johnson and Jeff Grate to lead the second-half barrage.

Leading 39-35 with 15 minutes to play, Harvard took advantage of enemy mistakes and its own hot shooting to pull away from the Wildcats. The visitors took control of the boards at both ends and often found men alone underneath for easy layups, to build a 59-41 advantage with nine minutes to go.

Mickey Norlander and captain Bob Beller started in the guard positions for the Crimson, and it was Norlander together with Kanuth, who kept Harvard alive in the first half. Norlander scored 10 of his 12 points in the first half, while Kanuth chipped in with eight.

More Speed

Crimson Coach Floyd Wilson went with Johnson and Grate at the guards in the second half, seeking a little more speed to help beat the bothersome Wildcat press. Johnson and Grate--who had spent most of the first half on the bench--responded well, scoring eight points piece, rebounding, and--most importantly--looking for the open man on offense, to give Harvard its best team effort of the year.

Harvard, which plays Northeastern at the I.A.B. tonight at 8 p.m. is now 2-3 for the season. New Hampshire is 1-5. The Crimson has another game Wednesday--at home against M.I.T.