Powerful Iceman Crush Brown, 7-3

Battle Tough Cornell Tonight For First Place in the East

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

The powerhouse was back in operation at Watson Rink Saturday night, grinding up Brown's hockey team and spewing forth a satisfying 7-3 victory. With the win, the Harvard skaters move to the top of the Ivy League and are in high gear to battle Cornell here tonight for the number one ranking in the east.

For the fourth game in a row, no player on the balanced Harvard unit scored more than one goal. Each line tallied once in the first period to build a comfortable early lead. Brown got its first goal in the second period, then Harvard's lines put in a third-period counter, with a shot by defenseman Bob Carr bringing the total to seven.

Harvard peppered two Bruin goalies with 45 shots and held a decided edge, even at times when Brown had a man advantage. The visitors were marked down for 31 shots, but were lucky to get three goals on the Harvard defense and goalie Bill Diercks. Two Bruin goals came with Harvard a man down in the third period, including one with five seconds remaining in the game.

After five minutes of non-stop action, it became apparent that touted Bruin goalie Don McGinnis was really not so good, and Harvard let fly every time it got the puck.

Give-and-Go

Ron Mark and Bobby Bauer combined on a give-and-go for the Crimson's first goal, with Mark adding a display of stickhandling before sliding the puck beneath the sprawling McGinnis.

One minute later, at 8:58, Jack Turco's attempt to sneak the puck into the cage corner was blocked, but he punched his own rebound to the far side for a 2-0 lead.

The first line joined the party at 14:45. Bobby Fredo took the puck down the boards into the left corner. While the Brown defense tried to set up, Kent Parrot skated from the corner to the crease and scored from point-blank range.

Brown approached Harvard in a second period in which the Crimson was shorthanded 30 per cent of the time. Diercks made one fantastic save on Jack Norwell, cleanly gloving a bullet from 15 feet.

Harvard's pair of top-notch defenses let their goalie down only once, when Carr made a bad pass to Brown's Bob Devaney, giving him an easy and unexpected shot for a Brown goal at 6:49.

Harvard pulled away in the third. Pete Mueller fought off two defenders to tip in a centering pass by Bauer at 2:14, and Carr's slap shot went through Don Grimble's screen and the goalie at 4:11.

Seventy seconds later Harvard's lead rose to 6-1 and Brown replaced McGinnis with Mark Burns. Parrot took a pass from Jack Garrity and slapped a sizzler from the left. Garrity met the McGinnis rebound coming in and flipped it home for his fourth goal of the year.

The final Harvard goal was the result of the already familiar Chris Gurry charge. The sophomore defenseman evaded three checks along the right boards, circled the Bruin cage, and left the puck in the crease for Barry Johnson to ram home.

Brown's second goal, also by Bob Devaney, came at 8:57, after referee Ralph Warburton sent Fredo off the ice for cross-checking. Warburton, who did what will hopefully be the worst job of refereeing seen in Watson this year, also assessed Ron Mark with his first penalty minutes of the year in the second period, when Brown's Norwell tripped over his own feet.

Norwell, a senior who was ineligible last year, was close behind Warburton in the unpopularity parade. The Bruin forward maliciously cross-checked Carr in the third period and proceeded to kick him when he was down. Norwell also interrupted the capacity crowd's final-minute standing ovation with a goal at 19:55, again with Harvard a man short.

Cornell Tonight

Cornell, the opponent in another sold-out engagement tonight, lost to Brown last week, 6-3. But Ken Dryden, the 6-5 Ithacan goaler, will be harder to beat than McGinnis. And more significantly, there wasn't a Bruin defenseman half as good as the Big Red's Skip Stanowski and Bruce Pattison.

Two full lines graduated from the NCAA-champion Big Red squad of last winter. Ted Coviello, Brian Cornell, Bob McGuinn, and Pete Tufford are back, along with another outstanding Canadian crop from the freshman ranks, but Cornell hasn't proven it can score as it did with Doran and the Fergusons flying up front.

WHRB will broadcast the game starting at 7:55 p.m.