Swimmers Bounce Back To Down Middies, 66-47

Led by Bill Shrout, Peter Adams, and Bill Murphy, the Harvard varsity swimming team rebounded from last week's loss to Army by sinking the midshipmen of Navy, 66-47, at Annapolis.

Shrout, Murphy and Adams each won two events in the surprisingly easy Crimson victory. After the by now almost traditional loss in the 400-yard medley relay. Harvard won seven of the next eight individual events.

The romp started with a Crimson sweep of the 1,000-yard freestyle. John Bragg set the pace with a 11:24.3 in the gruelling event and Bob Hughes was not far behind.

Circus

The win set the stage for the Murphy-Adams-Shrout three ring circus. Murphy, with his championship style readily apparent, ran away with the one-meter diving. Shrout had no trouble winning the 200 free, and Adams edged out Navy's Bruce Rachor in the 50-yeard free to give Harvard a commanding lead.

Reserves

A Navy win in the 200-yard individual medley preceded the second act of the trio. Murphy's win in the three-meter diving. Adams' in the 100 free and Shrout's in the 500 free, were interrupted only by Marty Chalfie's victory for Harvard in the 200-yard fly and a Navy sweep of the 200 backstroke.

What kept the meet from being a complete rout was the Navy reserve strength. All year Harvard swimmers have been able to come up with the first places, but the seconds and thirds keep mounting against them. Against the midshipmen, Harvard took eight of the 11 firsts in individual events, but Navy managed to capture seven of eleven seconds and seven of eleven thirds.

Harvard goes into the Christmas breathing spell with a 2-1 record just as it did last year. The next meet is with Brown on Jan. 10 in Providence.