Kelp and Cod Cover New Organ

By Anne DE Saint phalle

Starfish, kelp, sacred cod, and a crab decorate the University's new organ, dedicated yesterday in a packed Memorial Church service.

The Rev. Charles P. Price, Preacher to the University, accepted the $109,000 instrument--the largest organ of its kind constructed by an American in this century--from builder Charles B. Fisk '49. Done in pseudo-Baroque style to harmonize with Appleton Chapel, the choir section of the Church, the organ's gilded carvings were executed by Rockport artist Roger H. Martin.

Sea Motif

The sea motif reflects the organ's origin more than two years ago in Fisk's Gloucester shop. After design and preliminary assembly there, installation in the Chapel began last March. Fisk has "been working night and day since May" to voice, or tune, its 4500 pipes, John Ferris, University organist and choirmaster, said yesterday.

The organ is one one-third the size of the instrument it replaces, but its better placing makes it more effective, according to Ferris. The old organ, built in 1932 as a memorial to Albert Keep Isham '15, was "not particularly distinguished, badly placed, and of a type that is costly to maintain," Ferris said. Like most American organs of the past fifty years, it was electro-pneumatic--key action was electrically controlled.

Better Sound

In the Fisk organ, however, the keys make direct physical contact with the pipes. This mechanical action allows the organist greater control over a more brilliantly colored sound. With its 48 stops--knobs pulled to activate one or more ranks of pipes--and 75 ranks, the instrument "spoils you for playing any other," Ferris said.

From now on the organ will be used regularly in Memorial Church services, both as a solo instrument and for service and anthem accompaniments.

The organ will be spotlighted in a December concert by Anton Heiller, noted Viennese organist, and a series of eight dedicatory recitals on the Monday evenings of February and March.