Off-Campus And Claverly Polled By HPC, HUC

By Joel R. Kramer

The Harvard Policy Committee and Harvard Undergraduate Council are asking students living in Claverly Hall or off-campus whether they like where they are, and why.

The results of the polls will be used in drafting a joint resolution on housing at Harvard, HPC president Henry P. Norr '68 said yesterday. The resolution will be forwarded to a subcommittee of the Committee on Houses chaired by Richard T. Gill '48, Master of Leverett House.

The Gill committee is studying the impact of Mather House on Harvard, and is considering the possibility of using Mather to close Claverly Hall and restrict off-campus living. The committee is also considering two other possibilities--increasing the size of the College class and converting presently overcrowded suites in other houses.

Deconversion

Peter F. Weller '68, an HPC member who is attending meetings of the Gill committee, said the HPC-HUC resolution would stress "the use of Mather House for deconversion, stating that everyone should have his own bedroom."

A joint HPC-HUC resolution advocating deconversion was defeated by the HUC in October, because of a dispute over the wording of one section.

Even if every room in Mather were used for deconversion of suites in other Houses, several hundred students would still be living in converted rooms. But if the University decides to close Claverly, restrict off-campus living, or increase the size of the class, even less deconversion would be possible.

The Claverly survey, which asks students whether they would like to see the Hall closed, was circulated to all 120 Claverly students.

The off-campus poll asks whether any improvements in the Houses would have kept a student from moving off. It was mailed to 79 students living off-campus but connected with a residential House, and 85 Dudley students.