Ford to List Joint Council Faculty Seats

Group's First Meeting Scheduled for Dec. 15

By Joel R. Kramer

Dean Ford will announce to the Faculty today the names of 16 Faculty members who have accepted positions on the Student-Faculty Advisory Council.

Ford said yesterday he hopes the Advisory Council will hold its first meeting on Dec. 15. All 21 student representatives will be elected by Dec. 11. Ford will chair the Council until it chooses a leader.

Students on probation are running for election in Dudley House and North House at Radcliffe. The other eight Harvard Houses and two Radcliffe Houses will not be represented by students on probation, and it is not known who will be running in the Harvard freshman class.

The Dudley House student-faculty committee voted last night to endorse a student on probation as their candidate for the Advisory Council. Other Dudley students may run against the committee's choice--John D. Fouts '69--if they get the signatures of 20 students on a nominating petition.

Dean Ford said two weeks ago that students on probation will not be permitted to serve on the Council. Ford explained yesterday that any House which elects a student whom he refuses to certify may hold another election or simply have no representative. "I hope no House chooses the latter course," he said.

At Radcliffe, one of the seven North House candidates for the Council is on probation. Mary I. Bunting, president of Radcliffe, told the three House presidents yesterday morning they could permit the girl on probation to run provided they place a statement on the ballot informing voters that no one on pro can serve "unless the declared policy is reversed." The ballot will not say which girl is on pro, one House president said.

Mrs. Bunting said she told the Radcliffe House presidents that running a girl on probation "was silly, and that the chance of getting the rule changed was minimal," but that they could go ahead with it if the ballot explained Ford's ruling.

If a House elects a student who will be on probation only until the end of the semester, Ford explained, he will probably be permitted to serve if a stand-in replaces him until next semester. But Ford added that the decision would be left up to the individual Masters.