Farnsworth Will Be Master for the Spring

Dr. Dana L. Farnsworth, Director of the University Health Services, will be Acting Master of Winthrop House in the absence of Master Bruce Chalmers.

Chalmers, Gordon A. McKay Professor of Metallurgy, is taking a leave of absence during second semester to study in England. He will write and do research as an Overseer's Fellow at Churchill College, Cambridge, and also visit other British Universities.

Dr. Farnsworth, a frequently published and often controversial figure in his field, is recognized as this country's leading college health administrator.

But Then

House members reacted quizically to the news of Farnsworth's temporary appointment. "Why him?" asked one. "But then, why a metallurgist?"

"Though the general impression is that he is a bit doctrinaire and may lack contact with the students as a whole," one House Junior said last night "it will be really great to get him mixed in with the community more."

Dr. Farnsworth will take up residence in the House during his term as Acting Master, Master Chalmers said last night.

"For someone in his position to have contact with the House will be very helpful on both sides," Winthrop House Senior Tutor Daniel Horowitz said last night.

"We will miss Master Chalmers," Horowitz said. "But Dr. Farnsworth will, in his own way, make a real contribution."