Distance Runners to Lead Strong Track-Field Team

The best all-around track team in Harvard's history will make its debut against Army this weekend.

Led by an outstanding corps of middle and long distance runners, the Crimson tracksters will attempt to avenge last year's two losses to the Cadets--one in the season's first dual meet and the other in the '66-67 Indoor Heptagonals.

Coach Bill McCurdy, in his 16th year at Harvard, is understandably optimistic. "This year's squad is the best ever," he said yesterday. "It's an unusual Harvard team because there are so many boys with the potential to compete nationally."

Harvard will be strongest in the 600 and 1000-yard runs, the two-mile run, and the two-mile relay.

In the 600, Captain Jeff Huvelle, who took second in last year's Heps with a time of 1:11.8, will be joined by sophomore ace Keith Colburn. Colburn, although now plagued by an achilles tendon injury, may be the greatest middle distance runner in Harvard history. Last year as a freshman he broke the Yardling record in the 1000 with a time of 2:12.2, tied Huvelle's 1:10.5 University record in the 600, and ran the country's fastest freshman half-mile in the British Nationals.

Top Two

Colburn and senior Trey Burns will be the Crimson's top two entries in the 1000. Sidelined last season with a leg injury, Burns is Harvard's record-holder in the event with a 2:10,4 time--which won him third place in the IC4A's as a sophomore. He has also won the Heptagonal and Greater Boston 1000-yard titles.

In the two-mile run, Harvard should be unbeatable with the one-two punch of Jim Baker and Doug Hardin. Baker and Hardin placed first and second respectively in the Heps last year and may well repeat. Junior Tim McLoone should be close behind.

Harvard's second sophomore distance man, Roy Shaw, will head the Crimson's two-mile relay team. Shaw holds the University's record in the mile with a 4:03.4 time and will be Harvard's top entry in that event. In the relay he will be joined by Colburn or any of the four runners who ran a record 7:33.6 relay last year--Baker, Burns, Huvelle, and senior Dave McKelvey, who also runs the 600.

Harvard should also be strong in two field events. Steve Schoonover holds the Harvard and the Ivy League pole-vaulting record with a mark of 15'8". He won the Heps last year with a vault of 15'73/4".

In the 35-pound weight, Ron Wilson will shoot for the 60-foot mark this year.

Other top individual performances are expected from Dick Benka in the shot put, sophomores Jim Coleman in the high jump and Bob Galliers in the broad jump, Frank Haggerty in the 40-yard hurdles, and junior Bill Jewett in the 40-yard dash.