Racquetmen Reshuffle For Weekend Matches

A week of challenge matches has reshuffled the varsity squash team, which faces the University of Toronto here this afternoon.

Sophomore Larry Terrell, National Junior champion, and senior Jose Gonzales both defeated captain Rick Sterne to move into the number two and three positions respectively. Sterne will play number four.

Terrell beat Sterne 3-0 on Monday. After dropping the first game 15-3 Sterne battled back, but could not survive Terrell's merciless attack and lost the second and third games 15-13 and 16-14. Gonzales edged Sterne 3-1 on Wednesday.

Anil Nayar, possibly the best collegiate squash player in the country, defeated Terrell 3-1 on Wednesday to remain in the number one spot. Nayar missed last Saturday's match against Cornell to play in the Gold Racquets Invitation Squash Tournament in Cedarhurst, Long Island. He fought his way into the semi-final round, but lost 3-1 to Sam Howe, National Men's Champion.

In Good Shape

John Whitbeck, Michel Schienmann. Bruce Weigand, Fritz Hobbs, Fernando Gonzales, and Peter Abrams, will play in the fifth through tenth positions for Harvard--which coach Jack Barnaby thinks may be the key to the team's success. All of Barnaby's players are in good physical condition.

The University of Toronto is not expected to give Harvard much trouble. Its top three players--Frank Buck, Vic Harding, and Mike Gardiner--are veterans, but below them the team appears weak.

Buck last year was 4-1 against United States college competition, losing only to Amherst. Harding is ranked among the top five Canadian juniors, and Gardiner recently won the Toronto and District "C" Canadian championships.

On its first U.S. swing of the season, the Toronto team faces five college teams in three days. Yesterday Toronto defeated Wesleyan 9-0 then lost to Yale 7-2. A Yale player commented that several members of the Toronto team are "impressive," but that the team lacks experience.

Harvard's match against Army on Saturday should be the team's first real test of the season. Harvard is favored, but one player said "the military atmosphere at West Point might be difficult to play in."