60 To Spend Christmas Vacations Stirring War Opposition at Home

A group of 60 Harvard and Radcliffe students will spend part of their Christmas vacations working against the Vietnam war in their home communities.

The project is sponsored by the Committee for Effective Action, an organization of graduate and undergraduates led by several Radcliffe students living in Henry House.

Anne P. Leland '68, a spokesman for the CFEA, said that the effort "is based on the idea that there exists a lot of anti-war sentiment which is not expressed." She said that the CFEA's goal is "to get their communities thinking and talking about the war."

Miss Leland said that the Christmas vacation workers would concentrate on starting discussions and talking to as many people as possible, particularly Congressmen, about the war. She did not name specific tactics.

The CFEA is currently compiling a "Vietnam Kit" of information for the project. It will contain a collection of arguments against the war. Also a list of points to be made in anti-war letters to Congressmen and a collection of answers to pro-war arguments will be included.

The CFEA has sponsored two workshops in methods of opposing the war.

Miss Leland called the Christmas project a "pilot study" which she hopes will define "what it is possible for an individual to do (against the war)."

Workers have been divided into several home areas: New England (the largest group), the Middle Atlantic States, the South, the Midwest, and the Far West.

The CFEA's costs will depend on how much printing is done for the "Vietnam Kit." The group has received about $100 in private contributions.