Goldberg Forum To Be Described By Dunlop Today

John T. Dunlop, David A. Wells Professor of Economics, is expected to announce today his plans for Sunday's public appearance of Arthur J. Goldberg, Ambassador to the U.N.

Dunlop has been discussing the format of the two-hour meeting with representatives of the Harvard community--including members of the Harvard Undergraduate Council, the Young Republicans, and Students for a Democratic Society since he welcomed public suggestions last Tuesday.

Meanwhile, in anticipation of Dunlop's announcement, SDS has issued a public statement stating the principles it insists the Goldberg meeting should follow.

SDS insists on some sort of panel apart from the general audience, at least half of whose members must represent anti-war opinions. The organization also insists on the need for rebuttal to responses Goldberg may make to initial questions.

The meeting will be termed a "failure" by SDS if those points are not followed in Dunlop's plan, Michael Spiegel '68, cochairman of SDS, said last night.

But in no case, he emphasized, would SDS do anything calculated to turn the meeting into another "McNamara situation." If SDS thought that the meeting in practice failed to meet its principles, then it would try to re-direct the meeting its way, and, as a last resort, publicly announce the meeting a "failure" and walk out en masse.

In its statement, SDS also insists that the general audience--as well as a panel--have full access to the microphones, and that it be permitted to question Goldberg at length and in detail.

"We sincerely hope that no one will try to prevent this meeting from being what it should be: a confrontation between the administration and the antiwar movement," the statement concludes