B.C. Repeats Overtime Win Over Skaters, 6-5

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

Crushed.

The Harvard hockey team was a 6-5 overtime victim to Boston College for the second time this year. Again, the Crimson deserved to win, and never has a win been so needed. But the breaks went the other way.

Bob Carr's two goals and two assists moved Harvard to a 4-3 lead after two periods. Dwight Ware's goal restored the Crimson to a 5-4 lead with four minutes to play.

Then B.C. tied the game with 3:17 remaining and won it on Dick Fuller's breakaway at 7:18 of an overtime period.

Carr turned in the most brilliant individual performance by a Crimson player this season while playing the best game of his college career. With 30 seconds to play in the first period and Harvard down 3-0, the junior defenseman carried down the left boards, fending off a back-checking Eagle with his right arm. Even with the goal, he swung the puck across the crease and Pete Mueller was in position to hit it home.

Carr converted a B.C. slip-up at 2:53 of the second period. Three Crimson skaters and the puck got behind the deepest Eagle and goalie George McPhee couldn't touch Carr's well placed shot.

At 14:44, the former Arlington great took Barry Johnson's pass out from behind the goal and lifted the puck through a congested area and just under the crossbar into the nets.

Twenty-six seconds before intermission, Bobby Bauer rammed in a rebound of a shot by Ware, with Carr getting the other assist.

Lead Relinquished

The lead constructed by four straight Crimson goals was eliminated at 10:14 of the third period by Allen. But Ware's goal, from a pass by Bauer on a play set up by Ben Smith's forechecking, built the 5-4 lead at 15:40.

Less than a minute later, Gordie Clarke launched a breakaway from the faceoff following a disallowed goal. He faked goalie Diercks to the ice and snuck the puck inside the post.

Harvard had the better chances in the early overtime. Smith and Jack Garrity put on great stickhandling moves but both missed the nets with their shots. Kent Parrot unleashed a bullet that missed the far post by a foot.

Then at 7:18 Fuller caught the Crimson up ice and took the puck on an ominous breakaway. He skated past the characteristically advanced Diercks and whipped the winning shot behind him into the nets.

Harvard's edge was reflected in McPhee's 33 saves, to 22 for Diercks. When Carr was aggressively supporting the line of Garrity, Bob Fredo, and Pete Waldinger, the Crimson looked like champions. But there were weaks spots: of the Eagles six goals, three were tallied on power plays, and the other three when the especially unproductive first line of Parrot, Mueller, and Johnson was on the ice.

In the evening's finale, Boston University retained its Beanpot title as expected, beating Northeastern, 4-0.