WHAT THE PROPOSALS MEAN:

Rank List

The class rank you'll get this year, like the ranking the College has been giving all students since 1921, will be based on letter grades, not pluses and minuses. A B-minus and a B-plus count just the same. Under the proposed system, they won't.

Grades are now averaged so that, for ranking purposes, a B and a D become two C's. This becomes complicated with pluses and minuses, so the CEP has worked out a numerical scale: A, 15; A-minus, 14; B-plus, 12; B,11; B-minus,10; C-plus, 8; C, 7, etc.

The jump from A-minus to B-plus (or B-minus to C-plus) is twice as important as the jump from B-plus to B (or C-plus to C); the pluses and minuses count, but not too much.

To figure out your class rank, under the CEP plan, convert your grades to numbers and use the following list of minimum requirements: Group I, A (14); II, B-plus (12); III, B-minus (10); IV, C-plus (8); V, C-minus (6). E's would be averaged in (they aren't now), but anyone with an E or two D's would be listed unsatisfactory ad well as getting a rank.