Bruins Swim Here Tonight

The Harvard swim team will splash to its third straight effortless victory tonight against Brown at the IAB.

In an unusual 8 p.m. meet, the Crimson swimmers face a Brown team sporting an inelegant 1-5 record which includes a humiliating no-first-place-finishes loss to Amherst.

While Harvard was smashing Columbia and Penn last weekend, Brown was suffering the crusher at Amherst, 79-16, and an almost equally painful loss to Springfield, 64-31. It hurts to mention Harvard's early season 61-34 devastation of that same Springfield team.

It's not that Brown doesn't have good swimmers, Harvard Coach Bill Brooks said Monday. It's just that there has been a fantastic improvement in Eastern swimming over the past few years which has left the Bruins somewhat in the lurch.

The Brown captain, freestyler Dick Emery, may be the best of the Bruin lot, but his best times for the 100-yd freestyle are at least three seconds slower than Harvard record-holder Bill Shrout's.

Other Bears to watch are backstroking sophomore Vance Salter, butterflyer Har-old Mugford and Brown breaststroke record-holder Butch Wilder.