Freshman Skier Zooms for First In Wildcat Race

Freshman Larry Carter copped first place honors this weekend in the slalom and combined classes at the third annual Harvard-Wildcat Alpine Race in Jackson, N.H.

Carter Brothers

Carter, a class C racer and the brother of Peter Carter of Harvard's varsity team, placed first out of 110 contestants in the 60-gate, two-run slalom on Saturday. His time was 1:05.2.

The second place slalom trophy went to Jim O'Regan of Canaan College. O'-Regan, a class B skier, finished in 1:06.3.

30-Gate-Giant

Carter skied Sunday's one-run, 30-gate Giant slalom in 0:58 to finish fourth in a field of 105. The giant slalom time gave him the best combined record for the two days of racing.

Slow By a Tenth

John French Jr. of Middlebury, a class B racer, won the giant slalom with 0:57.3. Second place went to Irwin Nelson, a B racer from New England College, who skied a tenth of a second slower than French.

William Draper, a Harvard B. skier, was fourth in the slalom and 11th in the giant slalom.

The annual Harvard-Wildcat Race, for class B and C skiers only, is sponsored by the Harvard Ski Team.