Varsity Defeats Alumni Fencers

By George M. Flesh

Fencing amidst the rococo chandeliers and fading tapestries of the Harvard Club of Boston, the Crimson varsity trounced its alumni squad, 11-7.

Rick Kolombatovich, captain of the 1966 team, started out with three touches against his former teammate, Tom Musliner. But Musliner came back with five in a row to win, 5-3.

The alumni claimed the first foil round, 2-1, but the varsity evened the tally with a 2-1 victory in sabre.

With the score tied 3-3, the varsity proceeded to romp through six bouts in a row. Senior Brian Keidan started the rout with a 5-3 decision over Tom Masterson '45. Steve Shea followed with the first of his two wins in epee, a 5-0 whitewash against Eric Sollee '52, who is normally a sabre man. The third varsity triumph was by Harry Jergesen, who avenged last year's 5-0 loss to Giles Constable '50 with a 5-1 decision.

Musliner completed the string in the second foil round with a 5-1 victory over Steve Khinoy. Sophomore Bob Barnard took two bouts in sabre for the varsity. The alumni beat the varsity last year, 14-13.