Teams Pick Beller, Garrity, Kopecki

HOCKEY

Jack Garrity, whose first-period goal was the lone bright spot for Harvard in the Crimson's 4-1 loss to Cornell this past February, was named captain of next year's varsity hockey team at last night's annual hockey dinner.

Garrity '68, of Eliot House and Weymouth has scored a total of 21 goals in his Harvard career. He was a high school all-America at Archbishop Williams High. His best showing in a Crimson uniform came last season also against Cornell, when he recorded a hat trick (three goals) and almost pulled off a Harvard upset.

Other players honored at last night's dinner were senior Dennis McCullough and junior Bobby Carr. McCullough was awarded the John Tudor Memorial Cup for sportsmanship, leadership, and team cooperation, and Carr won the Donald Angier Hockey Trophy as the team's most improved player.

BASKETBALL

Junior Bob Beller of Kirkland House and Brooklyn, N.Y. was elected captain of the varsity basketball team for next year.

Beller (5-11) plays guard. He averaged 6-2 points per game this season, but as captain of the freshman team he averaged 18.8.

Beller captained his New Utrecht high school team and was chosen to the second team All-City of New York.

Last summer he represented the United States as a member of the team which won the basketball championship in the Pan-American Maccabian Games held in Brazil.

Beller feels that next year's varsity could make a big dent in the league if they are very aggressive. "Our attitude will be an important factor, since we have the talent," he claimed.

Next year's team will have eight returning lettermen, and six of them will be juniors, so, according to the year's captain, Gene Dressler, the team has the potential of a first division club.

WRESTLING

The lightweight divisions were the keys to this year's wrestling squad, which was narrowly defeated for the Ivy League title, and not surprisingly, it will be a lightweight who will captain next season's varsity grapplers. Andrew J. Kopecki '68 of Dunster House and Exeter, N.H., who wrestled in the 115, 123, and 130-lb. classes this winter and compiled a 4-2 record in the process, will replace outgoing captain Ed Franquemont.

Kopecki's most impressive win this past season came against Penn during reading period, when he converted an escape into a pin after 29 seconds of the second round in his 123-lb. match.

The 20-year old Kopecki placed second in the Freshman Easterns two years ago at 115 lbs., and, as a senior at Exeter, captained the wrestling team as well as coxing the crew.