Nayar Nails Terrell in 3-1 Match To Capture Harvard Squash Title

Anil Nayar mowed down the largest field ever entered in the Harvard University Squash Tournament Friday and grabbed another championship by defeating Allen Terrell 3-1 at the Hemenway Gynasium.

Nayar took charge after losing the first game 15-8. He broke Terrel's momentum.

In a series of drop shots and three wall combinations and then simply out hit Terrell to win the second game 15-8. Terrell never really got started again after this.

"He's devastating," Coach Jack Barnaby said. "His game has the effect of never allowing the opposing player to get set. Only the best players in the world are able to contend with it."

Particularly Effective

Nayar's style was particularly effective against Terrell. He ran Terrell around the court and forced him to take off-balance shots. As Terrell tired, Nayar increased the pressure and won the last two games with scores of 15-8 and 15-8.

Still, Terrell made a great effort and never gave up. In the only game he won, he ran eleven straight points and out-positioned Nayar for the clincher, 15-8.

Nayar and Terrell had narrowed down a starting field of 140. Nayar breezed through six opponents without losing a single game and ousted third-seeded John Thorndike in the semifinals. Terrell, seeded fourth, made it easily to the semifinals where he beat Pete Wheeler 3-2 in a close match to earn the fight with Nayar.

Sophomore Nayar received the Foster Trophy, given annually to the University champion. Nayar joins a distinguished group of Harvard champions. "He measures up well," Barnaby said.

For Nayar, this tournament marks the end of an extremely successful season. He will pass up the defense of his Italian national title and rest before he "takes up tennis seriously for the first time."