Galbraith to Take Top ADA Post, Denies Vietnam Prompted Decision

John Kenneth Galbraith, Paul M. Warburg Professor of Economics, said yesterday that he has agreed to accept nomination to the chairmanship of Americans for Democratic Action, but not because of a growing concern over the Vietnam war as had been speculated.

ADA's nominating committee was reported to have reached unanimous agreement on asking Galbraith to accept the post. The nomination and election will be decided this Sunday at the organization's convention in Washington.

Organized 20 years ago, ADA is made up of persons interested in liberal political ideas and in rallying support for them in the major political parties.

Twice previously, Galbraith, ADA vice-chairman since 1964, was asked to accept the chairmanship, but declined.

"When I was approached about the post last spring, I was finishing work on my book, The Industrial State, and had to decline," Galbraith said yesterday. He added that now he "would accept the nomination, if offered, and serve, if elected."

If elected, Galbraith hopes to use ADA as "a voice for the pent-up feelings people have about the government and to strengthen the voice of the academic community in government affairs." He emphatically denied speculation that he hopes to move the academic community toward the Kennedy wing of the Democratic party.

In domestic affairs, Galbraith said his major concern is the problem of funneling more money into the cities. He listed Vietnam and the question of improving U.S. relations with the Soviet Union as major foreign policy considerations.