Sophs, Led by LoPucki, Should Bolster Golf Team

The Harvard Golf team has lost half of its lettermen, but a crop of sophomores led by Bruce LoPucki should more than make up for it. The squad, mired in mediocrity last year, will have a fine chance to battle with Yale for Ivy supremacy.

LoPucki, a former USGA junior semifinalist and Michigan state junior champ, is a long-hitting sophomore with a deadly touch around the greens. He will give captain Brian McGuinn, who has played number one for the past two years, a good run for the top spot.

Versatile Stars

Two other sophomores should fill in for last year's seniors -- Tom Wynne, who plays safety for the football team, and Paul Oldfield, a freshman baseball star last year.

Ramar Holton will be another newcomer. Holton played number one as a freshman four years ago, but since then he has been out. He was sidelined last year with a broken wrist. Holton put in some practice in Miami over the semester break and should be ready for Navy in the squad's first match a week from Sunday.

Holton could be one of the few who will be ready. Ten golfers will travel to South Carolina for a week's practice, but that won't be enough against the Middies, who are usually the Crimson's toughest opponent.

Last year Harvard finished with a disappointing 8-7 record, just squeaking over the 500 mark by whipping Dartmouth and Princeton in the last two matches. This year the schedule will be about the same, with local contests in the beginning and Ivy matches at the end.