Crimson Sailors Try for Repeat In Kennedy Cup

Harvard's sailing team, winner of the John F. Kennedy Memorial Cup in 1965, will face nine of the nation's top crews at the U.S Naval Academy next weekend to try to recapture the trophy that has become, in its three year history, emblematic of college sailing supremacy.

Tufts, which won the McMillan Cup last fall over nine Eastern crews including Harvard and Navy, ranks as a co-favorite for the race with the University of California at Berkeley, whose boat will be skippered by Scot Allen, the assistant helmsman on Columbia, an America's Cup hopeful.

Harvard's 44 foot yawl, which qualified by finishing third in the McMillan regatta, will be captained by junior Tony Parker, generally regarded as one of the best sailors in New England. Leading the after guard will be senior John Cunningham, a veteran of several Bermuda races.

Dinghies Start Too

Up front on the foredeck will be Dan Burnes, Jim Notman, and John Ballard, while seniors Kinny Holland and Peter Robbins and sophomore Franz Schneider will help Cunningham below deck.

Harvard's dinghy sailors, who came in second in New England to the Coast Guard Academy in the fall, will also open their season next weekend, defending the Geiger Trophy which they won last year at M.I.T.

There will be a regatta every weekend after that. The biggest ones will come on April 22 and 23 at M.I.T., when Harvard will sail for the Owen Trophy against all the Ivy League schools and service academies, and on the first weekend in May at Yale, the Ivy League Championships.