Fencers Meet Winless Yale To Decide Ivy Cellar Slot

It's been a calamitous season, Harvard fencing buffs may-forgive all if the varsity can topple Yale for the sixth year in a row and avoid the Ivy cellar.

The Elis, an inexperienced squad with only three returning lettermen, will be hampered by the loss of captain John Saylor. Saylor, an epee man, has a fractured ankle. In his place, Jamie Harris, a consistent winner, will lead the epee team along with Roger Newton, who switched to epee after fencing foil last year.

Yale coach Al Grassons's foil team includes Peter Cheng, last year's freshman captain, and sophomore John Choy. Neither should be much of a problem for Harvard's Tom Musliner, New England intercollegiate foil champion, and senior Takashi Iwasawa.

The winless Elis lost to Princeton last week, 16-11. The Tigers also beat Harvard, 15-12.

With a potential first division team, the Crimson has had more than its share of bad luck this year. An injury to junior Chuck Lovell probably cost Harvard the Princeton match, and the Crimson is a better team than the lopsided Cornell and Penn scores indicate.

If Harvard wins, the fencers will finish fifth in the League with a 1-4 record.

The Yardlings, with two Ivy losses, will also be seeking their first League victory, when they meet the Yale freshmen.