HDC to Consider Six Amendments Curbing Executive Board's Power

The Harvard Dramatic Club will meet this afternoon to consider further a series of proposals aimed at increasing the membership's influence over the club's executive committee.

James L. Shuman '68 has drafted six amendments to the HDC constitution, including one that would completely revise the system by which the executive committee is chosen. At present, the five-man committee which selects Loeb shows and directors choose its own members.

Shuman's amendment would permit the committee to make a limited number of nominations when vacancies occur, but would leave the final decision up to the whole membership.

Five amendments were proposed last week to enable the club's elected officers, who are not on the executive committee, to represent the members-at-large at the committee's meetings.

Minutes Required

One amendment stipulates that the club's recording secretary should "keep comprehensive minutes of the meetings of the executive committee," striking out the Phrase "when requested to do so."

Another amendment provides that the president should call at least two general meetings each semester "in which the business of the executive board shall be reported and explained."

The present system of filling vacancies on the executive committee was initiated two years ago. Before then, the club's membership had discussed and voted on possible plays, with the final decision left up to a joint faculty-student committee.

At today's meeting, the HDC will vote only on the amendments proposed last week. The proposal to change the executive committee selection process will be offered formally this afternoon, but as the HDC constitution requires, it will not be put to a vote until next week.