Board Rate Is Expected To Rise in Two Years

By Glenn A. Padnick

The College Board rate will remain at $620 for the coming year, but it will almost definitely be raised the year after next.

The exact amount of an increase would not be determined until next year. The last increase came in 1960, when board rose $15 to the current rate.

An increase would mean a rise in Harvard's overall tuition-room-board charges for the third straight year. The room rate was raised $40 -- to $550 -- this year and tuition has already been increased by $240 -- to $2000 -- for next year.

C. Graham Hurlburt Jr., director of University Food Services, said Monday that rising food and labor costs and decreasing numbers of students eating in the dining halls make the increase seem inevitable.

According to Hurlburt, increases in off-campus living have reduced the number of students taking board this year by 50 to 60. In addition, he expects dining hall wages to be increased within the next two years.

Initially, it had been thought that the board would go up next year in addition to the tuition increase. But Hurlburt and L. Gard Wiggins, administrative vice-president, have reviewed anticipated revenues and expenses for next year and decided that food services can make ends meet at least through next year.

Each Tub Alone

Within the University, departments like the food services must remain individually within the black without outside assistance. "Each tub stands on its own bottom," says Hurlburt.

Therefore, the board rate is determined independently of the room and tuition charges. Before the increase in 1960, board rates had risen almost annually, up $26 in 1956 and $40 in both 1957 and 1958.

Increased use of automation has helped keep the board rate constant for the past seven years.

Hurlburt has said in the past raising board was the only answer to rising food service costs.