'Cliffe Institute Names 26 Women As Next Year's Research Fellows

Twenty-six women -- including a marine biologist, the editor of a local newspaper, and a specialist in American bookbinding -- were appointed to the Radcliffe Institute yesterday.

They will receive fellowships of $500 to $7,000 from the Institute to spend a year doing research or creative work. The Institute has given such fellowships to 154 women since its creation in 1960.

The new members and their projects are: Griselda White, dancing as therapy for psychological and physical rehabilitation; Judith K. Brown, a cross-cultural study of societies in which women dominate subsistence activities; Barbara Gelpi and Mary G. Mason, research on the Victorian critic and essayist Walter Pater; Barbara G. Rosenkrantz '44, a history of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.

Milton and the Romantics

Eda B. Vidale, a study of the history of ideas about the brain and its functions; Elizabeth T. McLaughlin, a study of the relationship between John Milton and the English romantics; Sonya Monosoff, two editions of Geminiani sonatas for publication and performance; Fredelle B. Maynard, a book of short stories and essays based on her childhood on the Canadian prairie and Janet L. Fisher, research in the field of category theory and its relevance to algebraic geometry.

Also: Maureen Howard, work on her third novel; Jean Chace '56, work on her poetry; Jeanne Garrigue, work on both poetry and prose; Eileen Chang Reher, writing and translating Chinese literature; Elzbieta Chodakowska, the lawyer in American literature; Hannah D. French, a book-length manuscript on early American bookbinding; Barbara B. Green, government and politics of Eastern European countries; Patricia Grimsted, political attitudes in early nineteenth century Russia.

Joan B. Pinck '50, a study of contemporary reviews of certain works and comparison with retrospective critical judgements; Sylvia A. Earle, classifying marine plants from the Caribbean; Muriel Cohen, study of urban problems; Caroline Bloomfield; developing a junior high course in medieval history.

Also: Jeanne Leger, merging the arts of painting and cinema through the device of the film loop; Jean K. Mason, psychotherapy and psychological testing of children; Claire Rosenfield, application of anthropological theories to literary analysis; and Anne Tabachnick, painting.