Powerful Crew Hosts Northeastern Today

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

Harvard's Stampfli shell will be carrying a three-year undefeated string, a world-wide reputation, and possibly Harry Parker's best crew ever when it hits the Charles River for its first 1967 race at 5:10 p.m. today.

All eyes in the rowing world will be on today's race, not because Northeastern presents a strong upset threat, but because a new, and especially significant, Crimson crew will be unveiled. With only one senior in his first boat, coach Parker has assembled a neight that should top all collegiate opposition for two more years and will have a chance to row on to Mexico City for the Olympics.

The summer of 1968, of course, can be no more than a dream at this point, with a number of challenging races looming larger in the immediate future. Today's is by no means the least of them.

The Huskies have made impressive advances in three years of varsity rowing and already have one win under their belt this spring. They beat B.U. and M.I.T. on the Charles last Saturday, and coach Ernie Arlett has confidence that his boys will make Northeastern's first showing against Harvard in crew a good one.

Parker, an acknowledged master after only four years as heavyweight coach, was still making changes in his lineup as late as last Thursday. But the sought-after speed has already started to appear, and optimism is the mood of practically everyone who has seen or rowed in the boat.

Musical Chairs

Only Jim Tew and Brian Clemow graduated from last year's Eastern Sprint champions, but the new boating places only two oarsmen and the coxswain in the seats they held last year.

The biggest change finds junior Ian Gardiner moving from the number two seat to stroke. The suave junior not only takes on the responsibility of setting the boat's pace, but has to adjust from rowing starboard side to rowing port.

Parker considers Gardiner "a savvy oarsman and a though competitor," and demonstrated his confidence in the Groton graduate by selecting him ahead of senior Clint Allen, the returning stroke from last year's boat.

Utah

Taking Clemow's place at number seven is junior Curt Canning, who rowed at number five last year. A 6-3, 200-pounder from Utah, Canning is steady and works well with Gardiner.

Six-five junior Andy Larkin has retained his number six seat from last season, and junior Eric Sigward has moved up from four to five. That shift leaves Sigward on the starboard side in the German rigging which places bow, three, six, and stroke to port.

Behind Sigward is junior Scott Steketee, at 6-4, 218, the biggest man in the boat. Steketee took up rowing only last year, but lettered as number five man on the J.V. boat that also won at the Eastern Sprints.

Lone Senior

Captain Jake Fiechter, the lone senior, returns to his three seat, and junior Bill Wolbach has moved up from the J.V. to the number two spot vacated by Gardiner's move. Replacing Tew in the bow is the boat's only sophomore, Arthur Evans.

Junior Paul Hoffman, an experienced coxswain from Andover, will guide the boat as he did last year.

The race begins near the bridge that carries the MTA across the Charles and ends a mile and three-quarters upstream at the old M.I.T. boathouse. The favorite vantage point for the races is one the Cambridge bank at the finish line, reachable by a short drive down Mem Drive.