Nine Suffers League Loss At Princeton

By Richard D. Paisner

The Harvard baseball team suffered its first Eastern Intercollegiate League loss of the season Saturday at Princeton, dropping a 3-2 heartbreaker to the Tigers.

Some loose Crimson fielding, a few well-placed Princeton hits, and a disputed umpire's call spelled the difference as Harvard's sophomore pitching sensation Ray Peters saw his and the team's record evened at 1-1.

Rough Stretches

Peters wasn't as sharp as he has been in earlier games. The fireballing right hander whiffed ten Tigers but he had rough stretches in the second and third innings and had to pitch out of minor jams in the late frames.

In the second inning Princeton roared to a quick two run lead -- and Harvard never could catch up. The Tigers bunched three hits -- half their game total -- to get the two scores. One of the runs came on a close play at the plate -- the Crimson kicked at the umpire's "safe" call but to no avail.

Then in the third, Princeton scored the eventual winner on a wild pickoff throw and a Crimson passed ball.

Lord's Double

Finally in the sixth inning Harvard got its bats unlimbered. Pete Smith drew a walk, Bob Cunningham and Dan Hootstein singled to load the bases and center fielder Carter Lord smacked a double to drive home Smith and Cunningham.

That put Crimson runners on second and third with none out, but the big, clutch hit wasn't in the cards. Princeton got out of the inning and held on to win the game.

Despite the loss, Coach Norm Shepard had at least one good reason to keep smiling. Captain Joe O'Donnell hung on to his re-found batting eye, garnering three hits in three times at bat. The senior first baseman also came up with a near-sensational catch of a foul fly.

Harvard plays three games this week. Tuesday they travel to Chestnut Hill to take on the B.C. Eagles. Next Friday and Saturday, they resume League action against Cornell and Pennsylvania at Splinter Stadium.