Ruggers Clobber Yale in Home Opener

Rebounding from a disappointing vacation week trip to St. Louis, the Harvard Rugby Club spotted Yale six quick points, then rallied to dump the Bulldogs, 16-6, in the Crimson's home opener Saturday.

"I've never seen a Harvard rugby team play a better game," team captain Paul Buddenhagen said after the victory over the previously undefeated visitors. "Everybody who played turned in a really tremendous performance," Buddenhagen added.

Early penalties against Harvard led to two three-point kicks by Yale's scrum-half, Tony Richardson and gave the Bulldogs their initial lead.

The Crimson offense dominated play after that point, getting on the scoreboard for the first time on a try by Parker Wise. Wise's effort came after a fifty yard run by Jim Guest, the Harvard center three-quarter.

Harvard tied the score early in the second half on a five-yard plunge by Bill Shields. Pat Cashman's try and Billy Wilson's conversion gave the Crimson ruggers an insurmountable 11-6 lead.

Senior Dan Gleason, the Club president, scored a try in the final period to seal the victory, as Harvard displayed tremendous teamwork and defense to keep Yale from penetrating.

The visitors salvaged something out of the long, muddy afternoon, when their second team drubbed the Harvard scrubs, 11-3.