Heavies Should Capture Stein Cup Against Winless Brown, Rutgers

Harvard's heavyweight varsity travels to Rutgers this weekend, and when it returns it should be bringing back the Stein Cup for the third straight year.

From all indications, Brown and Rutgers will offer only small-time competition. Both crews have yet to win a race this season.

Rutgers has been beaten decisively by Princeton and Yale, and last week Brown lost to Boston University.

The closer and more exciting races figure to be the junior varsity and first freshmen. Heavyweight coach Harry Parker pegs Brown's JV as "just as good as their varsity."

And last Saturday the Rutgers freshmen turned in a time of 8:54 flat over a mile and three-quarters to beat Yale by two lengths. The time equalled the Yale varsity showing.

Freshman coach Ted Washburn, who speaks the highest praises of his boat after last week's sterling performance against Northeastern, is not exactly worried about the Scarlet Knights, but he says "their time of 8:54 makes it obvious it will be a close race.

"It will be the true test of poise for green oarsmen who have never seen a boat right up even with them during a race." he says.

This past week Parker has continued to try different combinations in his varsity shell and line-ups are not yet set for tomorrow's contest. Finalized boatings have been impossible because weather caused a three-week delay in getting out on the river this winter.