Ivy Summer Programs To Aid 200 Southerners

By Boisfeuillet JONES Jr.

Harvard, Yale, and Columbia are expanding their summer incentive programs for Southern college students who have the potential to go on to graduate school.

A Carnegie Corporation grant of $400,000 will finance a two-year Intensive Summer Studies Program for 100 college juniors, mainly Negroes. The Ford Foundation has given $187,000 to expand the program downwards this summer to include 100 students who have just completed their sophomore year of college.

Last summer Carnegie funded a one-year incentive program that sent 29 juniors to Harvard for the summer, 65 to Yale, and 25 to Columbia.

Of the 100 sophomores, 50 will be at Harvard and 50 at Columbia. The students will takes a tutorial in the natural sciences, social sciences, or humanities. In addition, they must take one course in the regular summer school.

Yale, which has no regular summer school, will conduct a special summer program for 75 of the 100 juniors. The students at New Haven will participate in two seminars, one in the social sciences and one in the natural sciences. The other 25 juniors will concentrate on natural sciences at Harvard this summer.

Five of those at Harvard will work with a Faculty member and medical student at the Harvard Medical School. The rest of the junior program here will be arranged by individual departments. It will include seminars on computer techniques and analysis; research projects in biology, mathematics, and chemistry; tutorial and non-credit course work; and tutorial alone.

Whites Go to Yale

"There will be some white students in the program, mostly at Yale where they have no other integrated summer program, said Thomas E. Crooks, Director of the Harvard Summer School. "The students at Harvard will live in the dormitories and have the same social life as the regular summer school students."

Faculty teams from Harvard, Columbia, and Yale have been interviewing Southern students for the last two weeks and will wind up the interviewing this week. Selections will be made by the middle of May.

Two weekends ago, representatives from 32 Southern colleges met with faculty members from the three colleges to determine how to follow the summer program during the academic year. In addition to the summer scholarships, the students receive aid for their senior year at college.